Monday, May 02, 2005

Memento haiku

Carmen Mirada me pasó este meme y aqui están mis respuestas :



1) You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451; which book do you want to be?
There are two ways to go about this. On the one hand I would like to
be a book that won't get burned, so I would probably choose "The
complete manual of book burning, The official training manual of
Firemen" And on the other hand, I would be a book that would dare to
be burned. Something along the lines of "Burn this book! I double
dare you" non fiction of course.


2) Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Too many to list. I think all good writers make you develop a crush
on their leading characters. I recently reread Idoru by William
Gibson and found that the girl who goes after her favorite singer,
besides being the first blogger in history, also holds a little place
in my heart. Hmm. Are writers fictional characters? I have a huge
crush on Dorothy Parker, and most of her female characters. Even the
extremely paranoid woman on The Telephone.


3) What are you currently reading?
American Tabloid by James Ellroy. What I've read so far I have liked.
Ellroy takes a cast of behind the scenes characters and two bit
players putting them up against the likes of JFK, Jimmy Hoffa, Howard
Hughes, etc. America in the 50's was a crazy place if you know where
to look, seems like the message from Mr. Ellroy. Pulp and historical
figures perfectly mixed.


4) The last book you bought was:

The complete poetry and prose of William Blake. In school he was my
favorite poet (probably because he was an illustrator and a little
touched in the head)


5) The last book you read was:
The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. A book about growing up
in Brooklyn in the 70's in a mixed neighborhood. Lots of music,
graffiti and comicbook references. A coming of age story.


6) Five books you would take to a desert island:
The aforementioned book by William Blake for starters. Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid. Yes a math book. I picked it up because the cover interested me enough to read the back cover. I was familiar with Escher and Bach, but not with the mathematician of the group. It is also has a great influence by Lewis Carroll. It's a study of human creativity and how art, music and science (math) can mirror one another. Never had the time/clarity of mind combo to read it through. The fact that a desert island is my choice of a perfect place to get into math theory can tell you more about me than what's my favorite color (blue obviously) This answer has me wondering the reason I would be on a deserted Island. Is it my choice? Is it punishment for a heinous crime? Did I break the internet?? Is my punishment to be banished with myself as the only company, only to regret my choice of books?? Err 2 down 3 to go. Sandokan by Emilio Salgari. If I get bored I can always turn to piracy. Heck even if I don't get bored. And Sandokan is just the perfect role model. Gray's Anatomy. Two uses. Learn some anatomy, which can come in handy for fixing broken bones and stuff. Also I can finally draw a realistic human being. And the final book would be a haiku anthology. Which seems funny to me, because I wouldn't consider myself a "poetry" kinda guy, but for long periods of time by myself I rather keep the reading short and the thinking long.



7) Who are you going to pass this stick to, and why?

Hijo Tonto, because I want to read his answers but with movies instead of books.

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here