Friday, November 14, 2003

US babies get global brand names

Ya habia posteado al respecto pero, este tipo de temas siguen saliendo y saliendo:


Children have been named after big brands as diverse as beauty company L'Oreal, car firm Chevrolet and designer clothes company Armani.

There are even two little boys, one in Michigan and one in Texas, called ESPN after the sports channel.

Mr Evans, a professor at Bellevue University, Nebraska, has studied baby names in the US for 25 years

He has found that car models are a popular source of inspiration; 22 girls are registered as having the name Infiniti while 55 boys answer to Chevy and five girls to Celica.

Seven boys were found to have the name Del Monte - after the food company - and no less than 49 boys were called Canon, after the camera.

Designer firms and types of clothing were also well represented, with almost 300 girls recorded with the name Armani, six boys called Timberland and seven boys called Denim.

In some cases it seems something else was on some parents' minds - six boys were named after Courvoisier cognac.

t is a stark contrast to the most popular names in the US as found in social security records - Jacob and Emily were top for 2002.

Mr Evans told BBC News Online one reason for the popularity of brands as names is a growing desire on the part of parents to mark their children out as different.

He also says that naming a child after a brand such as Armani or Chanel, associated with money or exclusivity, reflects the material hopes of such families.

"It is no different from the 19th century when parents named their children Ruby or Opal... it reflects their aspirations" he says.


Si claro y seguro Lord Byron y Percy Shelly hubieran escrito un poema como este:

{Busta} Give me the Henny, you can give me the Cris
You can pass me the Remi, but the pass the Courvoisier
{Diddy} Give me the ass, you could give me the dough
You can give me 'dro, but pass the Courvoisier
{Busta} Give me some money, you can give me some cars
But you can give me the bitch make sure you pass the Courvoisier
{Diddy} Give me some shit, you can give me the cribs
You can give me whaever just pass the Courvoisier

cortesia de Busta Rhymes y P.Diddy

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | US babies get global brand names

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here