Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Rappers in Disharmony on P2P



Dos raperos se enfrentan en cuanto a opiniones acerca de los programas que dejan compartir archivos de musica. Los raperos son LL Cool J por un lado y Chuck D de Public Enemy del otro.

LL Cool J declara:

"My first question is this: Do people in the entertainment industry have the same rights as other Americans to fair pay for fair work? If a contractor builds a building, should people be allowed to move into it for free just because he's successful? Should they be able to live in this building for free? That's how I feel when I create an album, or if I make a film, and it's shooting around the planet for free."

LL Cool J said he has seen a gradual decline of his record sales even though he made some of the greatest hits of his career recently.

"Artists are a huge and extremely important part of American culture," LL Cool J said. "We're the dreamers."

Musicians like studio drummers, for example, are seriously affected by illegal file sharing, according to Cool J. "He's not LL, he's not getting the big check and doing the movie thing and all of the talk show stuff that I do, but he's on the drums -- he's making a living. (Because of piracy), "these people can't live."

"I'm not against technology, I'm not against the Internet, I just wish that music could be downloaded legitimately," LL Cool J said.


Chuck D, siendo coherente (vease Fight the Power) declara:

"Technology giveth and it taketh away, and the industry knows this," Chuck D said. "The horseshoe makers probably got upset at the train manufacturers because (the new industry) took away their transport dominance, just as the train manufacturers probably got mad at the airline industry."

"I think this expands artistry and it's about adjustment," he said.

"As an artist representing an 80-year period of black musicianship, I never felt that my copyrights were protected anyway," Chuck D said. "I've been spending most of my career ducking lawyers, accountants and business executives who have basically been more blasphemous than file sharers and P2P. I trust the consumer more than I trust the people who have been at the helm of these companies.

"The record industry is hypocritical and the domination has to be shared. P2P to me means 'power to the people,'" Chuck D said. "And let's get this to a balance, and that's what we're talking about."


fight the power.

Wired News: Rappers in Disharmony on P2P

|
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Listed on BlogShares Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here